Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Socktopus craft

Last month I learned about a new craft the socktopus.  You make it out of patterned socks.  My daughter Melissa loves octopus' right now so I thought this would be the perfect craft to do at her birthday party. First I bought socks at Michaels craft store. They were $1.50 a pair.  I also bought stuffing, felt for eyes, and ribbons.  These are the socks that I bought.
I made some practice socktopus with my kids.  First you turn the socks inside out and tie off about half of the foot section.  Then you turn the sock back around and cut one slit up to the foot and then fill it with fiberfill.  Then you tie off the foot of the sock and cut out the 8 tentacles.  Then you cut out felt eyes and a mouth and ribbon hair and glue them on with a glue gun.


 Megan with her socktopus
 Melissa with hers
We had 12 girls at the birthday party. My daughter Holly and 2 of her friends helped the girls to make their socktopus.  I couldn't have done it without them.

Today I am thankful for many things:
1. I got my sprinkles, candles and cake decorating supplies organized.  I keep them in the cupboard above my oven vent and they usually fall out of the cupboard when I open it up.  Here is how they used to look.
 This is everything laid out on the stove.
I bought two 12 inch depth snap ware containers and they worked perfect.

2.  I have gotten to spend time with lots of fun relatives.  My sister in law Beckie and I took our kids to the American Girl store.  It is near her house and I have always wanted to go there.  It was like a doll museum with everything on display from the American Girl magazines. 
 3. We got to take a fun trip to Chelan and Leavenworth as a family last week.

2 comments:

. said...

What a fun update! I absolutely love the socktopus idea and may have to give that a try with my girls. I am totally envious there is an American Girl store near you, those are amazing!!!!

Heather said...

You are always doing such fun crafts! I love the way these turned out and I bet the girls had a lot of fun. We used to love the American Girl store too! You have such cute and creative children. They must get it from their mom and grandma! :)