Monday, September 7, 2015

Granite Countertops

When we moved into our Washington house 8 years ago we said maybe someday we will replace the tile counter tops in the kitchen with granite.  Well that day has finally come.  On our wedding anniversary Scott and I went and looked at granite.  I picked out this pretty piece of granite.

Last week I snapped a few pictures of our old countertops and we got the new granite installed.  Our tile was actually in good shape and a nice color but the grout was gross.  Really, who ever thought it would be a good idea to put grout on kitchen countertops.  
The one good thing about the grout was it made a perfect place for an egg that you needed to use in a recipe.  The egg would stay right there.

Our sink was ceramic and very scuffed up and the grout around  that was especially disgusting.
 One the morning of the install a man came and hauled away our old sink and counters.
 There he is taking out the island.
 Here is a picture with all the counters removed.
 Then the new under mount sink was installed.
 Then the new granite went in.
 They rolled in the island granite on a dolly.
 Here is the completed look.
Here is another look at the tile. 
For one day the new sink looked like this.  We really missed having a functional sink in the kitchen.
 Nathan kindly posed for a picture from below for me.
 Then our home teacher/handyman came and installed the faucet and sink hardware.
Here is a reminder of the what the old sink looked like.
The granite by the window was cut too short so that still needs to be fixed but other than that we are happy with the result.  The one thing I miss about the tile counter top and sink was that it was old and strong and I never worried about banging it or scratching it.  I feel like I need to be a lot more careful with the new granite and sink.

Today I am thankful that:

*The kids had a good first week of school.  Usually the first week is super stressful for everyone but this was better.
*Scott got a new job at Microsoft that he will begin in a few weeks.  He had been looking and we had been prayed for months that he would find something new so this is an answer to our prayers.  This new group is friendly and organized and the work will be more interesting for him.
*I got to attend Relief Society in my ward yesterday.  I serve in the young women's program in my church so I rarely get to attend RS as it is the same hour as the lessons I teach.  Yesterday was a combined YW lesson so I ducked out and enjoyed RS with the great ladies in my ward.

No comments: