Today is December 1st and our countdown to Christmas begins. A few years ago I found this cute Advent house at Costco. It is part of a three house set (with about 8 doors on each house). Every day in December you open the door with the number of the day on it. Behind the door is a little space where you can put in candy or prizes. I put 5 pieces of candy behind each door, one for each of my kids. The kids each take turns getting to open a door, and they must do it when all the other kids are present. If not, all sorts of dramatics break out (amazing how kids can cry about everything).

Our collection of nativities is one of my favorite Christmas decorations. Each of the kids has their own set and just this year I inherited the cute Precious moments nativity from my Grandma who died earlier this year. I like collecting small nativities because then you can have a lot of them.

I also love gingerbread themed Christmas decorations probably because I am such a fan of cookies. This little scene is up on top of my kitchen cupboard.

I had to include this cute picture of my kids. They each had individual pictures taken at JCPenney in August and I put them together in this fun grouping and frame. We tried to take a group shot but I had two uncooperative children so the picture didn't turn out.

Nathan's favorite Christmas decoration by far is our gingerbread village with a train. The village lights up (with fiber optics), the train goes around at the bottom while Christmas music plays.

Another favorite thing for my kids is our Christmas tree. They each get to purchase a new ornament for the tree each year ($5 or less). The older girls have quite the collection. Plus friends and Grandparents give them ornaments. They each have a bag to keep their ornaments in and they get to put their own ornaments on the tree. Once the tree is decorated it becomes a plaything. They take their ornaments off and have them run around the tree exploring everything. Notice Nathan with his car below.

Even the big girls get into it. I was watching an HGTV show last night called 30 hits and misses with Christmas decorating. They suggested you not collect Christmas ornaments but just use three types of matching ornaments such as orange balls, sparkly stars, and turquoise wooden hearts to decorate a tree. Now that may look pretty but it wouldn't be any fun and not kid friendly at all. I am definitely a fan of ornament collecting.
Today I am thankful that;*Scott is such a responsible and hardworking husband and father
*The sun is shining--which means I better get out and hang up the outside decorations.
*Playdates for my kids--if they don't have friends over they expect me to play with them. Luckily today is a playdate day. :)
1 comment:
I am with you! I totally disagree with that lame advice on ornaments. We have so many collected ornaments now that we don't need balls or anything else, and I love how our tree looks! It's also so much more meaningful. Looks like a lot of Christmas spirit at the Walker house! And I love the picture of the kids - it turned out great!
Post a Comment