Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Creativity is in the genes

My mom is very creative. She has always been a crafter and is now a terrific quilter. This is a Valentine quilt that she recently made.
Here is a photo of my mom and I from a year ago. Yes, we end up dressing alike often.
My daughter Emily is going to be a in a school musical next month. When I met with the other moms to decide on the costumes I volunteered to make headbands for the bird girls. I'm not sure what I was thinking because I really struggled with how to make the headbands. Luckily my mom came to my rescue with her great ideas. She went to JoAnn's fabric store with me (and my complaining kids-really, do any kids like fabric stores?). We found some supplies and got to work. Here are the supplies before I made the headbands: feathers, some tutu material, black fringe, plain headbands and black felt.
And here are the completed headband decorations. My mom sewed the tutu material and black fringe onto a circle of black felt and then we decorated the middle with feathers and a button. There are five bird girls and each one is a different color.
Here is Megan modeling a completed headband. I covered the headbands with black duct tape and then I glued the decoration onto the headband.
Another mom made the girls tutus and we each bought black leggings, a black t-shirt, black gloves and 2 boas in our girls' assigned colors. Here is Emily modeling her completed outfit. Pretty cute!
Today I am thankful that
*Scott has had a few days off of work and has been very helpful at home.
*Valentines day is over so I can finally take down all the decorations.
*Nathan slept through the night (which rarely happens).

3 comments:

. said...

You and your mom have some serious talent! The headbands turned out awesome!

Enjoy Scott's time off and have some fun this week!

Windy Dawn said...

Those outfits turned out so cute! Nice job :) A feather boa always *makes* an outfit.

Barb Stanford said...

The headbands turned out great! Moms are great aren't they =) That is such a nice picture of you and your Mom together. I am learning how to quilt right now and I am loving it. Mind you it is harder than I thought it would be and A LOT of work...but I am glad I am learning how to do it.