My son is spoiled, I'll just say that up front. He is our only boy and baby. He asks for a lot of things and often we cave and buy them because we don't have alot of boy toys in our house and he needs something to play with. Birthdays and Christmas just come once a year. Well lately he has been asking for a Lightning McQueen Power Wheels. There is a commercial on the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon for pull up diapers that features a little boy zooming around his house in a Lighting McQueen power wheels car. Almost everytime it is on Nathan comes running to me to tell me he wants one of those cars. I have tried to explain it costs too much money but he continues to ask. Now truly we have enough money, we could buy it for him. But I am usually a cheap person. I buy good things but only at garage sales or for big holidays. And we have never purchased a power wheels. The number 1 reason is they cost too much money and the number 2 reason we don't have room to park one in our two car garage that we proudly have clean enough to park both of our cars in. Here is Nathan pointing up to the car at Fred Meyer.

Now that is a nice set of wheels. Should I cave? His birthday isn't until September but that is when the rain starts up again. If we are going to buy one I would prefer to get a whole summer's use out of it. Have any of your kids had power wheels and were they well used and worth the money?

My other option is to just wait it out. Someday the commercials showing it will stop and he will start wanting something else.
Today I am thankful that;*the YM/YW car wash I was in charge of last night was a success*Holly is playing with the little kids right now, I love it when the big girls are helpful *Scott got to have a fun day at work bowling with his coworkers for a team building activity
4 comments:
Um, I don't have kids so I should probably mind my own business and not comment, but I think that a $200 toy is too expensive. I just kind of got emotional thinking about how much your little boy already has, including great parents and family, food, clothing, very comfortable shelter and lots of love. So many kids don't have all that. He will not die if he doesn't get that car. He might think life sucks for awhile, and it may be 20 years before he realizes how good he has it, but he will get through childhood just fine without his own car in the garage!
I vote a waste of money. We had a power wheels given to us and Cannon and Declan rode it for a while. They had a lot of fun, for a few weeks, possibly a few months. Now it sits on the drive way waiting for someone to want it. I bought a new battery for it to the tune of $50! I have a friend who just moved to a house with property so they may take it off my hands! Some day he will stop seeing the commercials and will forget about it. If you bought it now to get your summers worth out of it, that may be all you get. So, is a few months ( which turns out to be a few hours time) worth $200? Think of all the other things you could do with the kids for that $200 that will have longer lasting impact on everyone. Just my thoughts!
They do have a smaller one that costs alot less, maybe $69.00, at our Frys but it says for ages 1 - 3. I don't know if he would fit it or not or if that is not "the car" he wants. It looks very similiar. You might want to check it out.
I agree with the other comments. We have purchased the smaller ones in the past (cost about $70) and these have filled the kids' desires. I have been tempted to buy the bigger ones, but the price tag keeps me away and the fact that in the long run, kids are typically more enthralled with the box and what they can do with that then with the toy itself.
BTW, I saw your comment on my blog...we would love to have you come visit some time. I'm sure our kids would have a blast together! :)
Post a Comment