Sunday, February 19, 2012

Valentines Day and a New Tree

Scott bought me these beautiful flowers for Valentines day. We enjoyed them all week.
I got to attend Melissa's kindergarten Valentines party. The kids had each decorated their own Valentine's box and they were so cute and colorful.
Here is Melissa with her class.
I also attended Megan's party. They played a fun game called "Name the Candybar". A mom had cut 8 different candybars into pieces and glued them onto plates. The kids then had to guess what the name of each candybar was. A lot of kids could not name them, but all the parents could. I guess that means we've eaten a lot more candy than the typical 2nd grader.
On Friday we said goodbye to our Japanese Maple tree that had died. We bought it last year and it was so beautiful with its red trunk and branches. It has the nice green lacelike leaves. But the soil we planted it in was very claylike and it slowly died.
Scott let each of the kids saw off a branch.
Then he sawed off the top and dug up the base of it.
We bought a Thundercloud Plum tree to take its place. We added more good soil to the claylike soil and are crossing our fingers that this tree survives. Lots of our neighbors have this type of tree in their yard and they seem very hearty. The new tree wil have pink blossoms in the spring and lots of purple leaves in the summer. Scott planted the new tree on Saturday in the rain.
This week I am thankful that:
*My brother Bryce got engaged. He will be married in June here in Washington.
*Holly finished memorizing The Living Christ to complete her faith Value project. It took her 12 hours to do. It was amazing to hear her recite the whole thing.

9 comments:

Kodie said...

Wow! Chocolate GLUED to a plate would make me crazy! haha
Good luck with the new tree! We planted an apple hybrid tree at Christmas time and are crossing our fingers.
What a cute girl! We are happy for them. We have already scheduled a trip to Florida the same week as the wedding (or at least what I heard from my Dad might be the date). That's a bummer because it would have been fun to make a trip to see all of your family!

Kodie said...

The other thing I wanted to say is that I think it's cool that Scott let your kids saw off a branch. Our kids love to use grown up tools!

Urry Family said...

Wow Holly-That is amazing. Good job! Great update on the fam. Thanks Angela!

The Pluims said...

Those flowers are beautiful! Also so random but I really like your table cloth.

Dianne said...

Lots of fun things happening at your house! I think it is great that all the kids got to help cut down the tree. I am looking forward to coming to a wedding in June and I remember when Jessica memorized the Living Christ. It is a pretty impressive feat. We were kind of challenged to memorize it at one of our Stake Conferences last year and I was going to do it, but it hasn't happened yet. I better get busy.

Diana said...

I hope your new tree survives! I bought some indoor plants from Home Depot that I'm slowly killing. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I have the worst luck with indoor plants! Maybe Home Depot will give me a refund (or maybe not :).

Good job, Holly!

Heather said...

Great job to Holly! I think that is a wonderful value project. Great job to you, Scott and the kids too for all the work you do making your yard look so great. We lost two avocado trees this year to claylike soil. I am sure our kids would have loved to saw off some of the limbs!

. said...

What exciting news! Another sister-in-law to enjoy!

Laura G said...

WOW HOLLY! That is amazing!!!! My Mom's sister Aunt Bev asked her kids to memorize things and recite them to her for their Christmas gift each year, and her daughters are my age. I love it. What a good thing to know! I want to memorize that too someday!