Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mom to the Rescue

I love my mom and I am so grateful that she is always willing to sew things for me, even now when I should know how to sew them myself. When I lived in Pittsburgh 10 years ago I remember her coming to visit and sewing for me. I borrowed a sewing machine from a lady in my ward and my mom used it to hem curtains and made a bedspread for Emily. When I lived in Arizona she flew to visit and brought a sewing machine with her on the airplane. She had bought the machine at a garage sale for me. Of course she was the only one who ever used it, mending things for me each time she came to visit. Last month I asked my mom to sew for me again. I needed to make Emily a Belle village dress, a cape, and a yellow Belle gown for her school musical. I asked my mom to do it and she agreed.
First my mom made a mock top for Emily. Sizing clothing even with a pattern is difficult. In the photo below my Mom is checking to see if it fits Emily.
Here is Emily in the completed village dress and my mom is measuring the apron for it.
And here is the completed cape.
Thankyou mom. I will post a picture of the yellow ball gown once it is complete. It is going to be gorgous.
This week I am thankful that:
*our family got to take a nice walk through the Evans Creek Preserve. It opened a few months ago and I had been wanting to go there. Basically it is just some open land that has trails and several bridges and boardwalks to help you cross over the many creeks on the property. We thought that this tree growing out of an old stump was cool.
Everything was very mossy. There are lots of moss covered trees and wild ferns here in the Pacific Northwest.
*I went to my first garage sale of the year. I picked up a box of Ello creation toys for $5. The kids have already played with them for several hours so it was a good buy.
*The three youngest kids play nicely together. Recently they set up all of their stuffed animals on the stairs. As soon as I saw what they had done I took a picture of it and had them put them away. I was worried someone would fall down the stairs with all those animals on them.
I love these guys!

5 comments:

Dianne said...

You are so lucky to have such a talented mom. I love all of the stuffed animals on the stairs - quite a collection you have there. I also think all the mossy trees are very cool. We don't see too much moss in Arizona. Thanks for sharing.

. said...

Your mom is absolutely amazing! Maybe someday we can get her to come down to Vegas...I could use some help sewing too! :) The costumes look terrific and we can't wait to see a picture of the yellow ball gown.

missykac said...

You are lucky to have your mom willing to sew for you. She is
so thoughtful. I can't wait to get together with her in April and have her help me. Emily's costumes are very professional looking. Loved your kids display of their stuffed animals!

Jessica said...

Wow, those costumes look amazing. Can't wait to see the ball gown.

Kodie said...

My mother-in-law has sewn so many wonderful things for our family. I love it!