This is not an actual picture of our microwave but ours is white like this and had a fire inside like this. As we worked to get the smoke out of our house we tried to figure out what had caused the microwave fire. Our daughter said she was making easy mac and upon further questioning we determined that she had not put water into the container as it directs. She had made easy mac before but was just distracted and forgot the water this time. Now we know that when dry macaroni is cooked for three minutes in a plastic container in the microwave it catches fire and burns up. We won’t be making any more easy mac at this house just to be safe.
This is what the burned easy mac looked like. I took this picture the next morning so it is covered in a little frost. The plastic container it was in totally burned up.
This is what the inside of the microwave looked like. Fortunately I was wanting to replace it with a stainless steel one anyway, so we will just throw this one away.
Sunday night all seven of us had places we needed to go to so we just went smelling very smoky.
Monday morning I aired out the house for several hours, burned lots of candles, and turned on fans to get the stinky smell out. The microwave used to sit on that counter between the refrigerator and stove. For dinner I made bacon so that smell could fill our house. It seems to have worked and we now have our normal smelling house back.
Today I am thankful that:
*We were able to put out the fire before it caused real damage to us or our house.
*We continued the tradition of making a puzzle on New Years Eve this year. We limit ourselves to a 500 piece puzzle and we had it completed before midnight. This is Niagara Falls.
*Nathan was able to buy a toy that he did not get for Christmas with some Christmas money he got from his grandparents. It kept him happy for a few days.
1 comment:
So glad everyone is ok. I once started a fire in our microwave making a baked potato. Congratulations getting a new microwave I guess. =)
Post a Comment