Saturday, February 21, 2015

Dollhouse Facelift

About three years ago I bought this dollhouse at a garage sale. I had a dollhouse as a girl and wanted to get one for my kids to enjoy.  The paint job wasn't the best but the price was great-$10.  I have always wanted to repaint it and this week I finally did it. 
 My kids helped me paint the main house color.  First we taped off the things that we didn't want yellow.
 Even Nathan joined in with painting.
 Holly and Megan enjoyed painting it too.

This is what color the shutters and window boxes started as.  They were a grayish green with pink hearts.
 Since there are 5 window boxes on the house I decided to make some cute flowers for each box.
 I bought the smallest flowers I could find at the craft store and then glued them onto folded cardboard cut from a cereal box.  Then I just inserted them into the box.
I painted the shutters, door, and trim.  It took a few hours but I really enjoyed doing it.  I would paint while watching Hallmark movies--what could be better?  I was a unsure what color to paint the window boxes so I pained each one on the front a different color to compare.  I painted one blue, one white and the last one brown.
I decided that I liked brown best and then painted them all to match.  Here is the finished house.  I am very pleased with the result.  Do you see the cute little girl in the upstairs window?
 Here is a before and after picture.  From boring to whimsical!
 Today I am thankful that:
*Holly got a great score on her ACT test! 
*The daffodils are blooming in my yard and the blossom trees are starting to pop with flowers.

*I found a nice group of ladies from my ward to attend Time Out for Women in Seattle with me.

2 comments:

Melanie Howe said...

Wow! It's so cute now. It makes we want to get my dolls out of storage and set up house!

Heather said...

Congratulations to Holly and congrats to you on an adorable doll house remodel! Great job both of you. You are so crafty and creative. I love it!