Friday, May 20, 2016

Wedding in Utah

When our nephew Jake got engaged earlier this year I told Scott that I really wanted to go so we got tickets to spend 3 days in Utah and attend his wedding.  I told Scott’s Sister Laura (who lives in the Seattle area too) that we were planning to go and she decided to get a ticket for the same flight  and go with us.  We met Laura at the Seattle airport early last Thursday morning. The security lines were long but we made it onto our flight just in time.  The three of us sat together.  Then once we arrived in SLC we rented a car and headed south to Orem.

Jim, Sharon and Sherri were there to welcome us when we got to Scott's parents house and we got in a fun visit before heading to chuckarama for lunch.  They had cafĂ© rio salads so I was happy. 
                       
After lunch Scott, Sherri and I headed to a store Holly had found online “called to surf” in Provo.  She wanted us to buy her a dress which we did.  Then we returned to Scott's parents house and got in lots of visiting before we headed to Laura’s in laws house in American Fork for the night.  They kindly let us sleep in their big basement and made us delicious breakfasts both mornings we were there.  It was great!

On Friday morning we woke up early and got ready for the big day.  The Payson temple was about 45 minutes from where we were staying and we got there right at 8:30 as instructed.  We ran into Scott’s sister Sherri (Jake's mom) in the parking lot so we walked in with her.  She looked beautiful in her navy lace dress.  There were 100’s of tulips in bloom outside the temple and the sun was shining. 
It was the first time any of us had entered the Payson temple.  We took the beautiful wide stairs in the corner up to the 3rd floor.  Then we took off our shoes and entered the sealing waiting room.  Scott’s parents Jim and Sharon were already there, Scott’s Uncle Gordon and Aunt Marilyn, and Matthew (Jake's dad) and Calvin (Jake's brother). Right before 9am we went into the sealing room and it had a big beautiful stained glass bay window.  The Walker/Fairbairns sat on one side and the Hall family sat on the other.  The Halls side was very full and ours only had about 10 people.  We were so glad we could be there to represent the Walker side. At 9am the bride and groom came in smiling in their white clothes. The sealer Brother Kau gave some great advice and then proceeded with the sealing.  I could see Jake’s face during the sealing and it was fun to see him sweetly smiling at Cannon.  After the sealing they kissed and exchanged rings.  Then the guests filed out passing Jake and Cannon and congratulating them and giving them hugs. 

We put our shoes back on and headed back down the beautiful staircase.  We stopped at the waiting room in the temple foyer and found our nephews Max and Calvin (Jake's brothers) in the waiting room with their uncle and his two kids. Max and Spencer looked very handsome in their khaki pants, navy blazers with gold buttons and maroon ties. I hadn’t seen either of the boys for eight years so it was very fun to reconnect. We all went outside to wait for the bride and groom.  They came out a side door of the temple and we were all there ready to greet them.  Max hugged his brothers first who were not able to witness the sealing inside the temple which was sweet.   Here he is hugging Max. 
And Spencer
We moved to the back side of the temple for lots of photos.  Cannon looked stunning in her lacy cream dress with beaded belt and 50’s birdcage netting on her head.  Jake looked great in his grey suit. 
Here we are with Scott's parents and two sisters.
 After the group pictures were done we headed with Laura to Provo to see the newly built Provo City Temple.  It was a beautiful temple and there were several wedding groups taking pictures outside.  When we come back to Utah in the summer I definitely want to attend a temple session there.
Then we went back to the Walker’s house for a short visit before heading to American Fork to the Bungalow where we ate lunch outside with all the guests who were at the temple.
There were kabobs with meat and veggies, a yummy rice mixture and salad for lunch. After they finished eating, Jake and Cannon came to the table that we were sitting at and chatted with us for a while.   We were able to hear about their apartment, their college majors and their summer jobs.  Both Jake and Cannon’s fathers gave nice tributes about their children at the lunch.

 This is Cannon's bride bouquet.  It was made of artificial flowers which was a clever idea.
The reception started at 4pm and Scott's Uncle Bill and Aunt Vicky were the first to arrive and stayed for the full 2 hour reception.  It was great to visit with them and get caught up on their children and grandchildren.  They served the most delicious five layer brownies and ice cream at the reception.  There was also pretzels, trail mix, and pretzel crisps.  Photos of Jake and Cannon where clothes pinned up to the string of lights that surrounded the picnic shelter and archway.  We got to wish Cannon and Jake on their way and see their sweetly decorated car at the end.

Saturday morning Scott and I took a walk through the Laura's in laws neighborhood which was really nice.  Then we drove to the Walker’s again for more visiting.  When Scott’s parents went to a funeral for a ward member at 11am Scott and I headed back to the clothing store “Called to Surf” to buy Emily a dress and Megan some white shoes.  I texted her a picture of the shoes the first time we visited the store and she was very anxious for me to go back and buy them for her.  I think she sent me 5 texts to remind me.
 Then we went back to the Walkers for a fun visit with Spencer and Max.   Once the Walker’s came back from the funeral we all headed to Applebee’s for lunch.  The service was very slow but the food was good.  

Then our time was up and Scott, Laura, and I had to head back to the airport.  We were able to easily find a gas station and fill up the car and the security lines were short so we made it to our gate in plenty of time.  Our return flight was pretty bumpy and my ears got plugged for the rest of the day but we arrived safely in Seattle.  Scott and I got our car and were home by 8pm.  Our kids were excited to see us and our house was pretty clean which was nice. 

All in all we had a great trip, got in lots of good visits, and were there to support Jake and Sherri on this special day.  I’m so glad we decided to go.


I'm so thankful that
*We got to attend the above wedding.  Scott was able to take the time off of work, we weren't sick and our kids could mostly take care of themselves in our absence.
*My parents checked in on our kids a few times while we were gone and sent me this picture to show the girls having fun in our backyard.
*Megan was brave and signed up for the middle school track team this year.  She's not really a runner but she goes to the practices and meets each week.  Here she is at the starting lineup for the 100 meter dash. Her two friends also signed up for track and run the races with her.  The three of them always come in last together. :)
*I have subbed 13 times now!  Subbing is not easy and I still get nervous each day before I go, but I am learning a lot and toughing up as a teacher.  

1 comment:

grandview relief society said...

It sounds like you had a fun trip and enjoyed spending time with Scott's family. It's hard for me to believe that your kids are old enough to take care of themselves, but they really are. I loved your descriptions of the wedding attire! Reminded me of some indexing I did recently of newspaper articles from the society section, very detailed. My temple assignment the last 6 months has been wedding sealings and it is so fun to get to be a part of so many special days. I love watching the pure joy on the faces of the bride and groom, as well as the parents and guests. Truly wonderful experiences! Thanks for sharing! I just realized I'm signed in under my relief society identity, but be assured this is your Aunt Dianne and not an unknown stranger or a robot.