In September Nathan got baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He had his baptism interview with the bishop
on his 8th birthday where he
posed lots of thoughtful questions including could he wear goggles. Nathan just learned to put his head under the
water this summer but would only ever do so when he was wearing googles. His sister Melissa had a pair of clear goggles so Nathan took those to the bishop interview so he could show
them to him. The bishop told Nathan he could
decide with his parents about the goggles. Fortunately, a day or two
after the interview it donned on me that if Nathan wore goggles his eyes
wouldn’t get wet and so he wouldn’t be fully immersed. I mentioned that to Nathan and he agreed with
me and never brought up wearing goggles again.
Scott headed out first for the baptism so he could fill up
the font, then I came with the kids. The font was about ½ way filled up when we got
there. Nathan and Scott got dressed in their baptism clothing and posed for this picture before the guests arrived.
Bishop Beeson and his wife were the first to come, followed by my parents. The Standages and Grandma Walker were next. They had come from Michael’s soccer game so they had to change into their Sunday clothes in the church bathroom. Michael forgot his change of clothes so that's why he is wearing his blue soccer clothes in the picture. My kids posed with their Standage cousins. We missed Holly being there but she is having fun at college in Utah.
It was so exciting to see Grandma Walker walk into the baptism room. She had a big smile on her face. This was the first baptism that she has been able to attend for our kids so it was wonderful to have her there. She was staying with the Standages that week helping her daughter Laura recover from surgery and fortunately the baptism was scheduled for when she was in town. I took this picture of Nathan with both of his Grandmas to remember how they were both there.
Bryce came with his family from Brian and Katie’s cross country meet as did Andrew and his family. My brother Barrett came with his 6 kids. His wife stayed home with 3-day old baby Claire. My brother Derek came too. It is a blessing to have so many loving and close by relatives that can come to things like this. :)
Bishop Beeson and his wife were the first to come, followed by my parents. The Standages and Grandma Walker were next. They had come from Michael’s soccer game so they had to change into their Sunday clothes in the church bathroom. Michael forgot his change of clothes so that's why he is wearing his blue soccer clothes in the picture. My kids posed with their Standage cousins. We missed Holly being there but she is having fun at college in Utah.
It was so exciting to see Grandma Walker walk into the baptism room. She had a big smile on her face. This was the first baptism that she has been able to attend for our kids so it was wonderful to have her there. She was staying with the Standages that week helping her daughter Laura recover from surgery and fortunately the baptism was scheduled for when she was in town. I took this picture of Nathan with both of his Grandmas to remember how they were both there.
Bryce came with his family from Brian and Katie’s cross country meet as did Andrew and his family. My brother Barrett came with his 6 kids. His wife stayed home with 3-day old baby Claire. My brother Derek came too. It is a blessing to have so many loving and close by relatives that can come to things like this. :)
Bishop Beeson conducted and started out by saying he had
known the Moulton family ever since his family moved to Washington 26 years
ago. I guess he and his wife are kind of
like family too. I played the
opening song with only a few off notes. I wish Holly had been there to play the piano, she is much better than I am. Grandma Walker gave the opening prayer and
you could hear the happiness in her voice that she was able to be there. Then Grandma Moulton gave a great baptism talk about how we are following Jesus when we are baptized and about the Holy Ghost. I felt like I was watching her in senior missionary mode. She was very knowledgeable and confident. :)
After the talk it was time for the baptism. Nathan got right up and headed to the font,
he didn’t appear nervous at all. All of
Nathan’s little cousins came up to the font to watch the baptism. Scott said the prayer and then Nathan went all the way under the water. I was standing
near the font stairs when Nathan came out of the water and handed a small white
washcloth to Scott so Nathan could dry his eyes. When I asked Nathan about the baptism later
he said “the water was so warm, I wish I could have stayed in longer”.
While Nathan and Scott got dried off and changed we each
made a little note for Nathan to read later.
Sister Beeson played primary songs on the piano while we made the
notes. Then Nathan was confirmed by Scott. After the blessing Nathan shook hands with all of the men in the circle. The Bishop spoke for a few minutes and we sang the closing song
and had a prayer by Grandpa Moulton.
Then we had the refreshments.
Scott had asked me to a buy one of those big mixed bags of candy from Costco. Everyone enjoyed the candy. We also had grapes, strawberries, Costco mini
cinnamon rolls, and delicious peanut butter cookies made by Grandma
Moulton. This picture shows lots of good visiting and enjoying of the treats.
Nathan gave the treats two thumbs up.
Grandma Moulton made this cool CTR pillow for Nathan.

The Bishop took a group picture of us outside. I love how one of my nephews refused to face forward. My kids went through a phase like that too.
Andrew had brought bikes for his boys and so we all went to the mountain biking course in the park behind the church to watch them ride for a while. It was a pretty cool course with lots of hills and all the other kids were wishing that had brought their bikes too.
The Sunday following Nathan's baptism we got to church early and the Bishop invited Nathan to go up to the stand with him. Nathan was expecting this and happily went up. It was cute to see him sitting there between the Bishop and his counselor, I wish I had gotten a picture. After the opening song and prayer, he was welcomed into the ward as the newest member of the church. Congrats Nathan!
Today I am thankful that:
*Holly called us last night, we weren't expecting it, and it is always fun to hear from her. Also we skyped on Sunday with her for the first time and got to meet her sweet roommate.
*I have lots of new conference talks to listen to as I drive from here to there. I sure love our prophet, his counselors, and all the others who gave talks last weekend. Their talks were just what I needed to hear.
*My first 4 days of subbing have gone well. I am not nearly as nervous subbing this year as I was last year. I have a renewed awe for first grade teachers as I have recently subbed in 3 different 1st grade classes. The kids are at so many different levels academically, socially, and behaviorally.
Just a note: For some reason blogger won't let me read your private blogs any more (even if I have a link). So if you have a private blog I won't be reading it or commenting. I wish I could. Luckily most of you are on Facebook or Instagram so I can keep up with you that way.
Nathan gave the treats two thumbs up.
Grandma Moulton made this cool CTR pillow for Nathan.
Me and my big boy. I still can't believe he is already 8.
The Bishop took a group picture of us outside. I love how one of my nephews refused to face forward. My kids went through a phase like that too.
Andrew had brought bikes for his boys and so we all went to the mountain biking course in the park behind the church to watch them ride for a while. It was a pretty cool course with lots of hills and all the other kids were wishing that had brought their bikes too.
The Sunday following Nathan's baptism we got to church early and the Bishop invited Nathan to go up to the stand with him. Nathan was expecting this and happily went up. It was cute to see him sitting there between the Bishop and his counselor, I wish I had gotten a picture. After the opening song and prayer, he was welcomed into the ward as the newest member of the church. Congrats Nathan!
Today I am thankful that:
*Holly called us last night, we weren't expecting it, and it is always fun to hear from her. Also we skyped on Sunday with her for the first time and got to meet her sweet roommate.
*I have lots of new conference talks to listen to as I drive from here to there. I sure love our prophet, his counselors, and all the others who gave talks last weekend. Their talks were just what I needed to hear.
*My first 4 days of subbing have gone well. I am not nearly as nervous subbing this year as I was last year. I have a renewed awe for first grade teachers as I have recently subbed in 3 different 1st grade classes. The kids are at so many different levels academically, socially, and behaviorally.
Just a note: For some reason blogger won't let me read your private blogs any more (even if I have a link). So if you have a private blog I won't be reading it or commenting. I wish I could. Luckily most of you are on Facebook or Instagram so I can keep up with you that way.
5 comments:
Thanks for sharing the events and excitement of Nathan's baptism! So proud of him! It is wonderful that you have so many supportive people and family to share these special occasions and events with! Loved reading and seeing all about it!
������Aunt Kathy
I was having problems with private blogs recently too - I couldn't see my sister's or my cousin's blog even though I was allowed and it make me really frustrated. Every time I tried it would say "User does not have permission to read this blog." Is that what is happening to you?
I found out it was a problem with the link. After clicking on it I would look at the URL in the address bar and it would say www.blogname.blogspot.com/ then a bunch of random characters like "zx=746800280190cf17". I found that if I deleted all the random stuff the blog would work again. Try it! I hope it works for you!
Sounds like a great baptism - love how you thought through the goggles. What a fun celebration for his birthday and baptism.
Sounds like ther ehas been a lot of great things going on with your family. Sorry to hear about the private blog issue - hopefully the fix the other commentor provided will help!
Hooray for Nathan! I'm so glad he was brave and got baptized! Miss you and your family!
Congratulations Nathan! It looks like it was a wonderful event.
Post a Comment