Thursday, October 21, 2010

A hike and new dresses

When I was a teenager I participated in a week long hike each summer. In preparation for the big hike we would take training hikes on Saturdays. Since Tiger Mountain was close by that was often the practice hike we went on. I have fond memories of driving with my YW leader Sharon in her convertable VW bug. She would have a car full of girls with the convertable top down and lots of hair flying around. When we moved to Washington 4 years ago I told Scott that I wanted to hike Tiger Mountain with him. This weekend I got my wish. We left all five kids home (we have been waiting for this day for 12 1/2 years) and Scott and I headed over to Tiger Mountain. Three miles up and three miles down. My legs were very sore the next day (I guess I need to get in better shape). It was so fun visiting with Scott on the hike and seeing the beautiful scenery. Plus it was a beautiful day. Here Scott and I are at the top of the mountain.
The view off the edge.
I caved on my last trip to Costco and bought new dresses for the little girls. Usually I don't buy them dresses, they get beautiful hand me down dresses from their older sisters and from one of their cousins. But Costco is tricky, they make cute dresses and only charge 18.99 for them. So I caved. Plus I had Melissa with me and she is always begging for me to buy her things--Always! I'll be alot richer when she is in school and doesn't shop with me. But she does look cute in her new purple pock a dot dress.
And Megan looks so grown up in her black and silver dress.
They look so pleased. Usually Melissa refuses to smile for the camera but not with this new dress on.
Today I'm thankful for
*the chance Emily has to be in a musical even if she didn't get the part she wanted (she was so sad)
*visiting teachers who came this month and saw all my Halloween decorations (it means alot to me)
*DVR players (the way we watch 90% of the shows we watch), just wish they were cheaper
* and health, my children and husband, holidays, employment, and the gospel in my life :)

4 comments:

Achiever said...

Congratulations on getting to go out without children. Danae and I are loving having kids old enough to watch the rest. Sometimes we go to the grocery store together just to get a little time away. :-)
-Matt

Heather said...

I love these posts. The look on your the girl's faces and their poses are priceless! How fun that you and Scott got to go on a hiking date. Also, your chocolate oreo treats made us crave a yummy treat here. That dipping stuff is hard to do!

Kristen said...

I love your blog! Your decorations are so cute. I need to come over and see them. I'm so impressed with how you keep up with this and I love the part where you write what you're thankful for -- you're a good example!

Barb Stanford said...

Good for you guys for going hiking and getting some alone time...even though it was hard work =) It is a very important thing to make sure you do as a couple...that is what I have learned anyways.

Your girls look beautiful in their dresses. My mother in law just came over and brought Brynley a Christmas dress she had bought her from Costco. So cute!