Monday, January 17, 2011

Valentine Crafters

Last year I saw the cutest Valentine cookies made out of felt on Pamela Susan's blog http://pamelasusan.typepad.com/pamela_susanup_close_pers/2009/01/project-one-felt-valentine-cookies.html. I had a 1 year old at the time and sewing seemed like a bad idea so I filed away the idea for this year. Over the past 4 days I have made these 6 cookies. Each takes about an hour of time but really is not that difficult. I bought the felt (which is only 29cents a sheet) and the seed beads. I had the embroidery thread from past never finished cross stitching projects and my mom gave me the stuffing for the cookies. I can't decide which is my favorite cookie. My family wishes they were real so they could eat them.
Melissa made some Valentine skateboarding pigs. They were from a foam craft kit but she added her own personal touch. Notice the pig on the right. She made 8 pigs and has slowly been giving them away to friends.
Scott's sister Laura and her husband were in town last week and came to our house for dinner. Melissa gave her a pig to take home to her kids.
Both Megan and Melissa have been working feverishly on Valentine paper crafts as well as evidenced by our very decorated kitchen wall. Here Megan is posing by her Valentine smiley face which is attached to the wall by at least 20 pieces of tape. Nice! I guess we all crafters at this house.
Scott hasn't made any Valentine crafts but he did recently finish a project that he started 4 years ago. When we moved into our house the walls were white and these were the living room curtains. A bit over the top for us.
So Scott romoved the top valence which was attached to the ceiling with 100 nails. Yikes! Then he took down the sheers and put up wooden blinds. We intended to change out the curtains too but couldn't find any curtains we liked to replace them.



The curtains remained for 4 years. They made good tents and hiding spots for hike and seek. But when we closed them they looked like this.
Here is a close up on the pottery fabic. Not our favorite.
But I finally found some new curtains and just last week Scott took down the old ones and hung up the new. I like them alot.


Today I am thankful that

*I have a new Beehive Class Presidency, after being without one for over a month.

*we have crafts to do inside when the weather outside is rainy everyday.

*Scott lets me put tons of decorations up all over the house.

6 comments:

Dianne said...

Your cookies look good enough to eat, the pigs are adorable, your wall decorations are amazing and the new curtains are a BIG improvment. Way to Go crafty little family!

missykac said...

What creative busy people you have at your house. It looks like you are all ready for Valentine's Day. Thanks for sharing all
your crafts in pictures. You are all so
amazing. Now all you need to do is make
real sugar cookies to eat when Valentine's
Day gets closer.

Laura G said...

Those are super cute cookies, I'd love to make those someday. Great curtain too. I love how much your girls enjoy doing crafts with you! Lucky mom! :)

Heidi said...

Thought about you more than once today--when I was making something in the kitchen with Garrett I thought about all the fun things you make with your kids. Later, when I was doing laundry I thought about you and Becky talking about laundry days. It's funny how much positive influence a friend can have on your day-to-day life! You are a great friend. Thanks!

. said...

Love the new curtains...the design is super fun! And what a cute idea on the cookies, although they aren't as tasty as the real things, they sure turned out great!

As for your comment about the desk, we found it at a garage sale and Brian painted it using some leftover paint from the girls' room. It's been a prefect accent to our family room. :)

Barb Stanford said...

Your new curtains look great! It is always fun when things get done and there are changes made.