Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My one hobby

Since I have five children I don't have alot of "free time". I spend most of my time doing mom things like cooking, washing clothes, bathing kids, fixing snacks, reading stories... But one thing I have always made time for is scrapbooking. I made my first scrapbook when I was a teenager and have been making them ever since. These are my kids books. I am very proud of them and the fact that they are up to date. Most importantly, my kids love looking at them, and doing so reminds them of all the fun things they have done.
Every six months I go through the pictures I have taken (during the last six months) on my computer. I get out a paper and write down each of the pictures that I want to print out. Then I go to kodak online gallery, costco.com, or shutterfly and upload all the pictures. This first step takes several hours. Once they are at a online gallery I select how many of each picture I want and then I place an order. Usually I am ordering about 300 pictures. I am always so excited to get them in the mail.
The first thing I do once I get them is open them and sort the pictures into piles. One for each of the kids and one pile for me=six piles. Yes, I make a different album for each of the kids. They love looking at the pictures in their piles.
Then I put each person's pictures into their own envelope. When I have a free hour I pull out one person's envelope with pictures and get to work. I usually do the youngest child's scrapbook first. This is my work station, the kitchen table.
A close up--pictures, colored cardstock, printed paper, cutters, and double stick tape.
Usually in 1 hour I can place all the pictures. Then when I have my next free hour I type up captions for the photos. In my third free hour I cut apart the captions and attach them to the book in addition to stickers (my favorite).
The last part is the best. I slip the pages into page protectors and into the scrapbook. Then I tell the child whose book I have just updated to come and see their scrapbook. Even Nathan gets excited to see pictures of himself.
Today I am thankful that I am alive--a friend of mine who has struggled with cancer for many years and has 2 small children is dying. Sometimes I complain that my kids whine or that being a mom is too hard but when it all comes down to it, I love being a mom and I'm really glad I get to raise these children.

6 comments:

Danae said...

That is impressive! I need to do something with our pictures. Everything is digital and that is no fun. I probably will make books digitally, however.

Kenna said...

You have scrapbooking down to a science! Amazing!

My sincerest condolences regarding the news of your friend. Life is such a beautiful gift, and it's easy to not appreciate what we have. Thank you for the reminder.

Barb Stanford said...

I am envious of all your scrapbooking you have done. It is such a good thing as I know the kids like to look at it all. I used to be right into it as well. And then when we had our house fire and I lost all my books I had done I was so devastated! Since then I haven't scrapbooked.

Sorry to hear about your friend...so sad! It really does put things into perspective for us doesn't it.

missykac said...

Wow, you are amazing. I want to look at your scrapbooks. Looks like you have it down to a science on how to get things done and keep up to date. Lucky kids!

Becky and Ben said...

That is so amazing that you do that. They look so cute too!

Kristen said...

I think you are amazing and such a great mom and you have such great perspective on things! I'm so glad we're friends!