Sunday, August 25, 2013

Megan's birthday and saying goodbye

Megan had a birthday and turned 9 years old.  This girl is a sweetie,we are so lucky to have her in our family.  She always helps me when I ask and does her chores without complaining.  She is a great big sister to Melissa and Nathan.
                                        
She opted to not have a friend birthday party and instead get an expensive gift that she really wanted.  She had been asking for an IPod touch like her big sisters have and was so excited to get one.  She's even good about letting her younger siblings play games on it.
We had Grandma and Grandpa come over when she opened her presents and had brownies.  They always try to visit each of their 15 grandkids on their birthdays. 
 I did take my kids and Megan's best friend out to frozen yogurt to celebrate too.
My parent's opened up their mission call at the end of July.  They will be going to Kentucky.
This is one of the pictures they had taken of themselves to submit with their mission application.
Today we attended their ward where they were giving the talks in sacrament meeting.  They had lots of family and friends there to hear the talks as they will be leaving for their mission this week.   My mom talked about the Book of Mormon and my dad talked about the Restoration of the Gospel. They invited all of their neighbors to come and hear their talks and some came.  They are already being missionaries. I am so excited for them to serve a mission but as the days get closer to them leaving I realize how much I am going to miss them.  Luckily we can still talk to them often and can visit them in Kentucky.

Today I am thankful that:
*Holly had a fun week at band camp where she learned the marching band songs and marches.  She said that other than EFY it was her favorite week of the summer. 
*Our beautiful backyard sunflowers are in bloom. 
*I finally got around to making my belated birthday fruit pizza.  I make it every year and love eating it, especially the second day when the cookie crust is nice and soft.  My kids really like it too.  Here they are threatening to eat it before I can snap a picture.

4 comments:

Danae said...

Your parents are awesome! They will love their mission and you will all be blessed by their service. I missed my parents terribly when they were gone, but the time went by very quickly and so many blessings came to all us. Let us know if you guys go to Kentucky, maybe we could meet you out there!

Claudia and Glenn Walker said...

Happy birthday to sweet Megan! Can she received text from her Ipod? I bet Nicky would like to send her some text :) How fun your parents are going on a Mission. Also I am so glad you could make your fruit pizza! I bet it tasted delicious!

. said...

Fruit pizza is one of my all time favorites! Glad to hear Megan had a terrific birthday, how could she not with such a perfect name!!! :) Thanks for sending the link to your parent's mission blog. I shared it with my family and it will be so fun to keep up on what they're doing.

Heather said...

Your fruit pizza cracked me up! That is what Harper requested for her birthday this year. Yummy!