Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A real Christmas tree at last!

Scott and I have been married for 16 years.  The first 6 years of our marriage we decorated a ficus tree with lights and a few decorations and called it our Christmas tree.  Finally, when Holly was 5 we got a artificial Christmas tree.  This year I was determined to get a real tree and not just from a tree lot, from a Christmas tree farm.  I had heard good reviews of a Christmas tree farm in North Bend called Christmas Creek.   So on the Saturday after Thanksgiving we all packed into the van and drove there.  Luckily it was a dry day. 
 
 
 The kids had fun running around through the Christmas trees, it was like a Christmas tree maze.
 Megan thought we should get this cute little tree.
 But we finally decided on this 8 foot Douglas Fir.
Nathan and Scott used one of the provided saws and cut it down.
 We drove it down the hill to "Santa's shop" where a strong man shook our tree to remove dead branches and bugs, and then sent it through the bailer machine.
Then he tied the tree to our van's roof.  We've had this van for 8 years and this was the first time we have ever used the rooftop rack.  Yes, it is about time!
 Hayrides come complementary with visiting the tree farm so me and the girls went for a ride.
Then we visited Santa's shop and got to see Santa.  He looked like the real thing and was very sweet with all of our kids.
 We successfully mounted the tree at home.  We have found about 5 little black spiders but no squirrels so all is good.  I thought getting the live tree was lots of fun.  Maybe we'll do it again next year!

5 comments:

Dianne said...

How Fun! I love real Christmas trees, but the last few I bought seemed almost dead when we brought them home. Your's is beautiful and I bet it is fresh as well. I personally think an extra squirrel or 2 might have been exciting, but I guess you'll just have to settle for decorations. I'm thinking we'll be lucky to have a fiscus tree this year. My friend brought me a huge poinsettia. Perhaps I'll just throw a couple of ornaments on that and call it good. Merry Christmas!

Danae said...

That looks like so much fun! Way better than a lot off the side of the road or in a grocery store parking lot! I hate our artificial tree but we keep using it. I did buy a live tree a few years ago because I miss the smell of a real tree. Enjoy decorating!

Kenna said...

That's the same place we go each year. We love how real the Santa looks there and the free apple cider. I love the smell of a real tree!

missykac said...

Sounds fun and I bet it smells great! It is surprising what having kids brings out in people. Glad that your kids had all been good this year so Santa was nice to them. Can't wait to see the tree all decorated. Please post
pictures of all your decorations.

Claudia and Glenn Walker said...

How fun activity you guys did. I am glad you went for it and got your real Christmas tree. Changing subjects. I think we shop at the same stores. I guess it doesn't matter if you are in WA and I am in TX I just found out that I do own purple pants like Emily, a blouse like Holly (in your thanksgiving post) and Hanna has the same boots that Melissa is using! So funny :)